Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Should editors be creative?

When I began my freelance writing career so many years ago, I was a worried man. In front of me were countless net battles that would ruin my waist, hours of solitude in a remodeled garage and the opportunity to continue feeding a monstrous family.

But the main source of my anxiety was this: would I be expected to be creative? Yes, he had spent eight years as an internal editor at Marconi. But the work did not stretch very creatively. There was a set of products (somewhat impenetrable) and some kind of conservative real estate b2b content writer approach to promoting it.

I followed that up with an editorial time at a medical communication agency. After 16 months, while still waiting for someone to offer me some work, it became clear to me that my services were superfluous. I did not need the letter from the top management to confirm it.

So here I was, in the real world, wondering if I could hack him as a 'creative' editor. Would my ideas look stupid compared to the city types activated by the country's advertising agencies?

I shouldn't have worried. Mainly because I wouldn't work much for advertising agencies. Most of the work went, and it is small businesses that need something written. Something effective.


Related image
Nine years after my independent writing career, I would describe the work I do as 'semi-creative'. It's as creative as it should be. I also discovered that on the occasions when city offices call, I can deliver the products. We are all more creative than we think.

But are we more creative than we need to be? I have always been skeptical of advertising agencies. Especially the things that win prizes. That's an easy criticism to come up with, but valid as the drunken creative team celebrated their gong in their tux, what did the client get from him?

I think there is some kind of conspiracy around advertising agencies. They will give a scandalous turn to something because that is what the client expects and because it is what they have to do to get their extraordinary fees.

For their defense, the big agencies will tell you that their stuff works. Of course, it works. It is on national television during Corrie's commercial breaks. It is in the mainstream media. Get a massive exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment